Weather Resistant Gaskets
Stockwell Elastomerics manufactures custom weather resistant gaskets to customer specification. Weather resistant gaskets are made from compressible, hydrophobic rubber materials that can withstand ozone and ultraviolet (UV) radiation. The performance and longevity of weather gaskets should be considered early in a product design. Materials such as silicone, epichlorohydrin and EPDM each have pros and cons in applications with weather exposure. Taking gasket material selection into consideration early in the design cycle allows for more design latitude and cost savings.
Important Points to Consider for Weather Sealing Materials
- Solid or closed cell - Depending on the clamping force and housing material, a soft closed cell sponge (expanded rubber) or a solid rubber should be selected to prevent ingress under wind driven rain and residual ponding of water.
- Heat resistance - Many outdoor gasket applications sit in direct sunlight where internal temperatures can easily exceed 140°F. Heat cycling can accelerate compression set in many gasket materials, some more so than others
- Freeze resistance - A frozen gasket is susceptible to cracking. Also, as snow and ice melt, a "stiffened" gasket due cold temperatures has the potential to leak
- Low compression set - Gaskets that will be compressed and re-compressed need to be able to rebound. Enclosure door gaskets are a good example of an application where the gasket rebound is crucial.
- UV and ozone resistance - Some outdoor enclosures house electrical components that generate ozone and others have the edge of the gasket exposed to UV. UV and ozone resistance should be considered when selecting a gasket material.
Material Selection for Weather Resistant Gaskets
Stockwell Elastomerics inventories many materials well suited for outdoor environmental sealing. Application details can make a big difference in cost and performance. Selecting the best material based on an enclosure design, environmental conditions, volume, and anticipated life expectancy are taken into consideration when Stockwell Elastomerics recommends a material and manufacturing process. Stockwell Elastomerics encourages testing and offers cut material samples for proof of concept.
Contact Stockwell Elastomerics for Weather Resistant Gaskets
Contact Us for further assistance with custom gaskets for applications requiring weather resistance and weather sealing.