Stockwell Elastomerics is a custom gasket manufacturer who specializes in high performance materials. A part of a gasket that is often overlooked is the adhesive backing, we hear it called a peel and stick backing, sticky backed gasket, adhesive gasket or some version of these. What many customers don’t realize is the adhesive backing, in most cases, are double sided tape. As a 3M Select and Adchem converter, Stockwell maintains inventory of master logs of double sided tape. These adhesives, usually referred to as pressure sensitive tapes (PSAs), are applied to most of Stockwell’s materials (including silicone rubber). Most master logs are self-wound; this means when unwound, one side of the adhesive is exposed. The exposed side is bonded to the rubber material; the non-exposed side has liner (usually paper or plastic) that is peeled of when the gasket is installed.
How can adding adhesive save cost?
1) Producing the part – in some cases, having an adhesive backing allows gaskets and pads to be produced on equipment that can run faster. Usually due to the fact that the adhesive liner helps prevent the rubber material from stretching during processing.
2) Assembly throughput – for mid and high volume production, gasket or pads can be supplied kiss-cut on a roll. Kiss-cut parts allow for easier and faster installation of the gaskets. The time saved in throughput usually offsets the added cost of the adhesive and in most cases offers cost savings.
The best adhesive for gaskets
Call Stockwell’s Applications Engineers – it’s fairly cliché, but the devil is in the details. Temperature, bond strength, surface energy, surface texture, chemical exposure, reinforcement, cost… are points to consider. Stockwell’s engineers work closely with customers and 3M to ensure the proper adhesive is selected for each applications.
Types of gasket adhesive backings:
- General purpose adhesive
- Film supported adhesive
- Low tack or repositionable adhesive
- Low surface energy adhesive
- Very high bond (VHB) adhesive
- High temperature silicone adhesive
- Thermally conductive adhesive
- Electrically conductive adhesive
For more information about adhesives for gaskets and pads, please contact Stockwell Elastomerics at email@example.com or call 1-800-523-0123.