How Can Adding Adhesive Save on Costs?
1) Producing the part – in some cases, having an adhesive backing allows gaskets and pads to be produced on equipment that can run faster. This is usually due to the fact that the adhesive liner helps prevent the rubber material from stretching during processing.
2) Assembly throughput – for mid and high volume production, gasket or pads can be supplied kiss-cut on a roll. Kiss-cut parts allow for easier and faster installation of the gaskets. The time saved in throughput usually offsets the added cost of the adhesive and in most cases offers cost savings.
What’s the Best Adhesive for Gaskets?
Call Stockwell Elastomerics’ Applications Engineers – it might sound like a cliché, but the devil is in the details. Temperature, bond strength, surface energy, surface texture, chemical exposure, reinforcement, and cost are points to consider. Stockwell Elastomerics’ engineers work closely with customers and 3M to ensure the proper adhesive is selected for each applications.
Types of gasket adhesive backings:
- General purpose adhesive
- Film supported adhesive
- Low tack or repositionable adhesive
- Low surface energy adhesive
- Very high bond (VHB) adhesive
- High temperature silicone adhesive
- Thermally conductive adhesive
- Electrically conductive adhesive
For more information about adhesives for gasket tape and strip gaskets, please call Stockwell Elastomerics at 215-335-3005 or complete a contact form for assistance.