Gasket Tape, Foam Gasket Tape and High Temp Foam Tape
Stockwell Elastomerics has extensive experience with sealing and gasketing applications using high performance silicone foams and silicone sponge products. Stockwell Elastomerics offers the Saint-Gobain Strip-N-Stick line as well as additional offerings that include 480S, HT-800, HT-870, BF-1000, BF-2000, R10470M and 400FR flame rated gasket tapes. These silicone gasket tapes take into consideration long term use, UV and ozone exposure, extreme high/low temperatures, firmness and compression set. This wide range of foam gasket tapes / strip gaskets allows Stockwell Elastomerics to supply gasket materials that will meet most enclosure gasketing needs. Stockwell Elastomerics offers these silicone foam and sponge gasket tapes with either high performance acrylic adhesive or high temperature silicone adhesive.
What is Gasket Tape?
Gasket tapes are adhesive backed silicone foam or closed cell silicone sponge supplied in rolls slit to customer-specified width. End users cut the gasket tape to length as needed, peel the backing and bond in place. Gasket tape goes by many names including strip gaskets, foam gasket tape, roll gasket, Strip-N-Stick® or “strip and stick”. Common applications include large enclosure gaskets, door gaskets, high temperature masking, NEMA panel gaskets and cushioning strips.
Gasket Tape Demonstration Video
Request a Free Silicone Sponge / Silicone Foam Gasket Tape Touch Brochure and Pre-Made Gasket Tape Sample Rolls
The tactile brochure as small samples of gasket tape materials to touch and feel.
Small sample rolls are also available.
Free Whitepaper: Gasket Tape – Silicone Sponge and Silicone Foam for Long Term Sealing Performance (PDF for immediate dowload)
This gasket tape whitepaper discusses silicone product options that will last and perform for the entire anticipated life of the electrical equipment including those installed in outdoor conditions in the harshest environments.
Standard Gasket Tapes from Stockwell Elastomerics
- 480S Gasket Tape – soft closed cell silicone sponge with 3M 9485PC acrylic adhesive
- Strip-N-Stick® 100S – medium density silicone sponge with high temperature silicone adhesive
- Strip-N-Stick® 200A – medium density silicone sponge with high strength acrylic transfer film adhesive
- HT-800 Gasket Tape – medium density silicone foam with acrylic adhesive
- 400FR (flame retardant) Gasket Tape – UL 94V-0 rated closed cell silicone with 3M 9485PC acrylic adhesive
- Strip-N-Stick® 300AR – fiberglass reinforced closed cell silicone sponge with acrylic adhesive
- Strip-N-Stick® 512 – low density silicone foam with film supported acrylic adhesive
What is Strip-N-Stick® Gasket Tape?
Strip-N-Stick® is the branded silicone sponge and silicone foam product line of high temperature silicone gasket tape manufactured by Saint-Gobain. Products include SNS-100S, SNS-200A, SNS-300AR, SNS-512.
Saint-Gobain Strip-N-Stick® is not currently listed for UL 50/E however it is widely used for NEMA enclosures and high temp masking applications. The closed cell silicone sponge is tougher and has a wider temperature range than silicone foam. SNS-100S is provided with a silicone adhesive allowing for a wider operating temperature (-100° to 500°F). The silicone adhesive on SNS-100S has a short shelf life – users are advised to store this particular product in a temperature controlled environment and use within 90 days.
HT-800 Gasket Tape
HT-800 silicone foam is UL recognized for UL 50, UL 50E (periodic recompression and continuous compression), UL 508, UL 1571, UL 1572, and UL 94V-0. This makes HT-800 ideal for outdoor lighting gaskets and NEMA enclosure gaskets. HT-800 silicone foam and the closed cell silicone sponge used for 400FR meets 21 CFR 177.2600 suitable for indirect food contact.
Gasket Tape with DP-1001 Silicone Adhesive for Extreme Conditions
Stockwell Elastomerics offers 3 gasket tapes with DP-1001 silicone adhesive backing in slit-to-width rolls. With proper deflection, they can be used to seal out rain, withstand outdoor conditions and temperature extremes. These gasket tape products have been specified for long-term sealing of outdoor enclosures, industrial ovens and dryers, ventilating and airflow applications subject to temperature extremes.
DP-1001 silicone adhesive contains an amber colored polyimide film support layer that provides dimension stability when removing the release liner and installing the gasket strips. The polyimide film layer improves the shelf life of the silicone adhesive backing by preventing migration of the adhesive into the silicone sponge or foam. The polyimide film also withstands a temperature range of -100°F to +500°F, thereby not limiting the performance of the silicone gasket in extreme temperature conditions. DP-1001 silicone adhesive is a total of .005” thick and has an easy peel release liner to aid installation.
The 3 gasket tapes with DP-1001 silicone adhesive are:
- R10470-M closed cell silicone sponge, provided by Saint-Gobain is UV resistant, will provide long service life in rugged conditions and meets ASTM D6576, Type 2, Grades B and C.
- BF-1000 low density, open cell silicone foam is provided by Rogers Corporation, passes the UL 94V-0 flame rating and is frequently used for air diverting and dust sealing.
- HT-800 medium density, closed cell silicone foam is provided by Rogers Corporation, passes the UL 94V-0 flame rating, UL 50E recompression test and capable of weather sealing when deflected at 35 to 50%.
The most frequently specified gasket tape roll widths are .500″, .750″, 1.00″ and 2.00″ wide. However, any width over .375″ is available in custom slit rolls.
Gasket Tape Material Considerations
- Indoor Applications – Dust and light water splashing, most gasket tapes can be used.
- Outdoor Applications – Dust, rain, snow, and hose down require closed cell foam or closed cell sponge.
- Spec Requirements – NEMA 4, NEMA 4X, IP64, IP65; material has to be functional with design but no material qualifications needed. UL 50E, UL 94; material has to be UL recognized (yellow card).
- Bonding Surface – Powder coats and certain plastics may require high strength adhesive.
- Temperature – SNS-100S offers a very wide temperature range and HT-800 Gasket tape is available in certain thicknesses with 3M 350 series adhesive.
- Compression Set and Stress Relaxation – Gasket tapes offered by Stockwell Elastomerics offer very good resistance to compression set and stress relaxation making them ideal for enclosure gaskets.
- Flame Rated Foam Tape – Silicone foam materials typically meet UL 94V-0, HT-800 foam also meets FAR 25.853 requirements.
- Water Sealing – Aggressive wash down requirements such as IP64, IP65, IP66, NEMA 4, NEMA 4X, and UL 50 type 4 may require bonded corners to prevent the ingress of pressurized water.
- Telecommunication enclosure gaskets, enclosure door gaskets
- LED lighting gasket, outdoor water sealing
- LED light leak gasket, indoor UL 94V-0
- Masking for large composites
- HVAC, high temp foam gasket
- HEPA filter gasket
- Large gasket (where single piece is cost prohibitive)
Need Help with a Custom (Made-to-Order) Foam, Sponge and Adhesive Combination?
Stockwell Elastomerics can provide guidance on selecting the proper gasket tape material and adhesive backing for specific customer applications. A film support adhesive backing to prevent stretching during assembly may be recommended, or a transfer film adhesive to allow for making corners and radii as assembly technicians install the gasket tape.
Stockwell Elastomerics regularly supplies silicone foams with low surface energy acrylic adhesives for powder coated surfaces.
DP-1001 polyimide film supported silicone adhesive from Stockwell Elastomerics allows silicone foam and silicone sponge gasket tape with broad temperature range and longer shelf life to be supplied. The polyimide film support serves as a barrier to prevent the user side of the silicone adhesive from cross- linking prematurely – and allows for an extended shelf life compared to the SNS-100S.
Frequently Asked Questions
Q: What is the minimum order requirement for custom gasket tape?
A: It is most efficient and causes less waste to use the full width yield from a 34” wide adhesive backed master roll – which is laminated per order. Therefore, if the best yield length is 15 linear feet, and the selected gasket tape width is 1.00”, the yield would be 34 slit rolls x 15 linear feet / roll = 510 linear ft.
Q: Is it possible to evaluate a sample of a custom order foam, sponge and adhesive combination before we order?
A: Yes. Stockwell Elastomerics’ sample department can provide a 6″ x 6″ sample swatch of the chosen thickness and type of gasket material with the requested adhesive to confirm compatibility with the surface to which the gasket tape will be applied.
Contact Stockwell Elastomerics for Gasket Tape
Contact Us for further assistance with gasket tape, gasketing tape, foam gasket tape, silicone gasket tape and any adhesive-backed gasketing tape.
Strip-N-Stick® is a registered trademark of Saint-Gobain.