Silicone and Elastomer Supply Chain Challenges
Statement to Customers Regarding Stockwell Elastomerics’ Silicone and Elastomer Supply Chain Challenges
View related post on the Elastomerics Blog: Supply Chain Challenges Update – 4th Quarter 2022
View related post on the Elastomerics Blog: Silicone Supply Chain Challenges Update – 4th Quarter 2021
Posted: June 16, 2021
Lead times updated: October 7, 2022
As many of you are aware, there have been significant challenges in the material and component supply chains as the USA and world have emerged from the pandemic. Demand has increased dramatically and the ability to move goods from point A to point B has become constrained due to limited capacity and shipping assets not necessarily in the needed location. The impact to the industrial silicone supply chain specifically, and elastomers in general, has been significant. The impact has been greater for some suppliers and it has continued to degrade through 2021.
Stockwell Elastomerics prides ourselves in having material available in-house to meet the needs of our customers. While we have tried to stay ahead of the extended lead times and increased demand, we have not been able to increase inventory to keep pace. Many of you have experienced longer-than-normal lead times from us with requests to make partial shipments in order to keep your facilities operating. This will continue with increased frequency over the coming weeks and months. The information we have received from industry experts and our supplier partners is that this period of tightness will most likely continue through 2021 and possibly into 2022. Additionally, the silicone industry was dealt another blow recently with the serious facility incident at the Hesheng Silicon Industry in Xinjiang, China.
Summarized below is our current situation with lead times from some of our key suppliers, along with links to communications we have received.
- Wacker Silicones: LSR produced in Germany is on allocation. 8 week lead time for domestic material.
- Rogers BISCO® Silicones: lead times at 32 – 40 weeks as of October, 2022 (standard was 3-4 weeks).
- Rogers PORON® Urethane Foams: lead times at 4 weeks as of October, 2022 (standard was 2 weeks).
- Saint-Gobain NORSEAL® Silicones: lead times at 16 weeks as of October, 2022 (standard was 3-4 weeks).
- Momentive Performance Materials Silicones: lead times at 12 weeks as of October, 2022 (standard was 4 weeks).
- Specialty Silicone Products: lead times at 6 weeks as of October, 2022 (standard was 2-3 weeks).
- Dow Silicones: lead times at 8 weeks as of October 2022 (meeting standard lead times).
Please share this information as appropriate within your organization. We will continue to provide ongoing updates so that you may plan accordingly.
We thank you for your patience and support as we work through these supply challenges.
Tom Charno, VP of Sales
Phone: 215-335-3005 x 246